Creating Sustainable Solutions

That Fit Your Life

What to know about relocating with your child

On Behalf of | Aug 18, 2021 | Child custody, Divorce

If you have custody of your child, it may be possible to relocate with your son or daughter. However, this depends on the structure of the custody agreement. Furthermore, a judge will likely need to approve any move that takes you into another town, city or state. This is because it will likely impact the other parent’s ability to have a relationship with the minor you’re caring for.

Does the parenting plan allow for relocation?

The parenting plan that was approved after your divorce may stipulate that the child must remain in a certain geographical area. Of course, this doesn’t mean that you wouldn’t be allowed to move in an effort to obtain a new job or to move closer to family. It simply means that you would need to go through the process of altering the existing plan before relocating with your son or daughter.

Would a judge allow you to move?

A judge will likely need to approve the relocation if your former partner also has custody or visitation rights. This will likely be true even if the other parent has already given his or her blessing to bring your child with you to another city or state. The judge overseeing your case will likely alter a child custody order if the move is done with the child’s best interests in mind.

For example, moving to take a higher paying job can make it easier to provide a stable environment for a minor. Alternatively, moving to be closer to family may make it easier for your son or daughter to develop stronger relationships with grandparents, cousins and other important figures in his or her life.

If you’re a child’s primary guardian, it’s your responsibility to do whatever it takes to provide a quality life for that young person. If necessary, you may need to relocate to make sure that this happens. However, it’s critical that you don’t start your move until you have cleared it with the court and others who may be impacted by your decision.